- As the US seeks a negotiated end to the war in Afghanistan, the Taliban led an attack on an important US base in the war-torn country.
- Taliban suicide bombers hit a medical facility being built just outside Bagram Air Base to provide care for local Afghans on Wednesday.
- The initial strike was reportedly followed by an hours-long firefight between the insurgents and US and coalition forces.
- Photos released by the US military on Thursday show the aftermath of the attack, specifically the damage at the passenger terminal at Bagram Air Base.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Taliban fighters launched an intense attack at Bagram Air Base, a key US base in Afghanistan, on Wednesday, but US and coalition forces were able to repel the insurgents after air strikes.
A collection of photos titled “Bagram stands fast” released by the US military Thursday shows some of the damage to part of the air base, specifically the passenger terminal.
It is unclear exactly what caused the damage.