- Trump quietly filed documents in September making Palm Beach his residence
- He is a lifelong New Yorker but has rarely visited the city since taking office
- Florida has no state income tax, and the move is reportedly for tax purposes
- New York’s Democrat Governor Andrew Cuomo responds: ‘Good riddance’
- Trump attacked Cuomo as ‘brother of Fredo’
- He said the city was getting ‘dirty & unsafe again’
- In the past Trump has mocked CNN’s Chris Cuomo as Fredo
- He also brought up energy policy, fracking, economic problems Upstate, and police being ‘disrespected’
President Donald Trump disparaged his longtime hometown of New York City Friday, saying the city is getting ‘dirty’ and unsafe – and compared New York Governor to a character from The Godfather after moving his main residence to lower-tax Florida.
The president alternately pointed to conditions in the New York, its high taxes, its Democratic political leadership, and investigations of his finances as reasons for his decision to make Mar-a-Lago his legal residence.
‘I love New York, but New York can never be great again under the current leadership of Governor Andrew Cuomo (the brother of Fredo), or Mayor Bill DeBlasio,’ Trump wrote.
‘Cuomo has weaponized the prosecutors to do his dirty work (and to keep him out of jams), a reason some don’t want to be … in New York, and another reason they are leaving.’